Brett Peter Linn Esq.
NY Personal Injury Lawyer
I earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Philosophy from the State University of New York (Binghamton) in 1976, graduating with All College Honors, Honors in Philosophy and elected to Phi Beta Kappa. In 1978 I received a Master of Arts degree in Special Education from Teachers College, Columbia University, New York, New York, serving as a graduate assistant for my program supervisor. Finally, in 1984, I was awarded a J.D. Magna Cum Laude from New York Law School, New York, New York, graduating 6th out of 107. While at NYLS, I served as a staff member of the school’s law review; earned the Raymond Gnesin Award for Workers’ Compensation Law; and received a Certificate of Merit for First Year Oral Arguments.
- New York, 1984
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1985
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Dispute Resolution Association, Past President, 1999 – Present
- New York State Bar Association, 1984 – Present
Pro Bono Activities
- Volunteer Work with Several New York Alternative Dispute Resolution Agencies, 1999 – 2009
- Volunteer Work with “Dan K Memorial Scholarship Fund” to raise money for deserving students and heart-related research, 2007 – Present
- New York Law School, New York, New York
- J.D. magna cum laude – 1984
- Law Review: Law Review, Staff, 1985
- State University of New York at Binghamton, Binghamton, New York
- B.A. – 1976
- Honors: With Honor
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
- Major: Philosophy
- Columbia University, Teacher’s College, New York, New York
- Masters Special Education – 1978
- Honors: With Honors
Honors and Awards
- Unified Court System, 9th District, Joseph F. Gagliardi Awards For Excellence, 2000 – Present.
Past Employment Positions:
- New York State Unified Court System, Court Attorney, 1984 – 2009
In my late teens I was involved in a car accident that was adjudicated in small claims court. I thought the outcome and process were unfair, so decided that I might want to become a lawyer to change the system.
For over 20 years, I was a Court Attorney in the New York State Court System for a Supreme Court Judge. In that capacity, I reviewed numerous personal injury cases and assisted in their resolution. Since becoming a member of the personal injury team at Sobo & Sobo, LLP, I have won numerous motions and appeals involving all types of personal injury cases and injuries.
I believe that people who have legitimate claims, due to injuries caused by another’s negligence or deliberate conduct, have a right to be fully heard and to have their claims fairly adjudicated. My approach is to completely understand all aspects of a client’s legal claims and to use every available resource to advocate for their rights.
Throughout my years practicing law I have experienced the judicial process from all angles; as a decision-maker inside the system; as a an advocate representing both defendants and plaintiffs; and as an employee of several firms as well as a solo practitioner. This broad overview helps me to place things in perspective and to give a meaningful voice to the clients that we serve.