Jonathan T. Engel Esq.
New York Personal Injury Attorney
After graduating from high school, I attended the State University of New York at New Paltz, where I earned my Bachelor of Arts in History, summa cum laude. Immediately following my college graduation, I enrolled at Pace University’s School of Law in White Plains, New York, where I earned my law degree with honors. My formal education, however, was not completed upon my law school graduation. I eventually went on to study mortuary science at the American Academy McAllister Institute of Funeral Service in New York City.
- 2010 New York State
- 2010 U.S. District Court Northern District of New York
U.S. District Court of Eastern New York
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- New York State Bar Association
- New York State United Teachers
- Orange County Bar Association
- Orange County Shields
- Dutchess Community College, Adjunct Professor of Business Law
- Pace University School of Law, Board of Directors, Alumni Association
- Young Lawyers’ Section
- State University of New York at New Paltz, NY
- Pace University School, with Honors
Honors and Awards:
- Outstanding Graduate Award, SUNY New Paltz
- Phi Eta Sigma National Honor Society
- Phi Alpha Theta History Honor Society
Honors Prosecution Extern, Westchester County District Attorney’s Office
- 40 Under 40 Shaker Award, 2013, Dutchess County Chamber of Commerce
- Orange County Rising Stars Award, 2013, Leadership Orange
I was born in Newburgh, New York, and raised in my family’s funeral service business located in the Town of Newburgh. Being raised in a funeral service family taught me the importance of compassion, understanding, and being there for people during difficult times. It was these lessons that made me seriously consider wanting to serve injured people. Being able to use my experiences from funeral service with my legal education and training to serve injured people at Sobo & Sobo is an honor.
I devote time as a volunteer attorney for Legal Services of the Hudson Valley. I am also a member of the Second Annual Orange & Sullivan Partners in Justice Reception Honorary Event Committee. I also serve as a member of the Alumni Association Board of Directors for Our Lady of Lourdes High School and have served as a volunteer during their “Building on a Legacy of Excellence” Capital Campaign. Additionally, I am active with the Dutchess County Regional Chamber of Commerce, the Orange County Chamber of Commerce, the Junior League of Orange County, and Leadership Orange.
I am a Cho Dan First Degree Blackbelt and participate as a member of the Korean Soo Bahk Do Association, Moo Duk Kwan.