Annual Sobo & Sobo
Scholarship Essay Contest
Each fall Sobo & Sobo, LLP, a law firm focused on providing superior legal services, invites high school seniors living in the areas we serve, to submit applications for the Annual Sobo & Sobo Scholarship Essay Contest. Each year there is a new question designed to engage and challenge students to consider their place in the world.
This year's essay topic focuses on technology something with which we are confident the students can relate.
Essays will be judged by a diverse panel of individuals, with whom the finalists will meet prior to the final selections.
The one first place winner will receive a single scholarship payment in the amount of $5,000, one second place will receive a single payment of $1,000, three third place contestants will receive $500 educational stipends. One student in each participating school will be recognized as honorable mentions.
All will be recognized with certificates as well at a formal ceremony in the spring.
- Participant must enroll in either a two-year or four-year college or university immediately after graduating from high school.
- Participant must use the scholarship funds towards college-related expenses such as tuition, books, meals, travel, or room and board.
- Participant must be in the final year of a public high school in an area Sobo & Sobo serves*.
- Essay submissions should be 500-750 words and easily legible.
- Essays must be received by the close of business January 31, 2020.
- Essays may be submitted as follows:
- Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org (Accepted submissions will be acknowledged by email. Those not acknowledged should be re-submitted, either hand-delivered or by mail.)
- Mail: Sobo & Sobo, LLP, One Dolson Avenue, Middletown, NY 10940
- Sobo & Sobo at the address above or to offices at
- 744 Broadway, Newburgh, NY or
- 219 Church Street, Poughkeepsie, NY
- 932 Sheridan Avenue, The Bronx, NY
- Discussing the essay topic is encouraged but essay submissions must be the sole product of the participant. Plagiarism will result in disqualification.
- Submissions are limited to one essay per student.
- The essays will be judged on many criteria, including, but not limited to, creativity of thought, quality of support of any opinion, clarity of expression, form, grammar, depth of research, if any, and overall presentation.
- Each essay must begin with the participant’s legal name, date of birth, phone number, mailing address, email address, and school name.
2020 Sobo & Sobo, LLP Essay Topic
- Advances in personal technology influence many aspects of our lives. Technology connects us and adds convenience. It also threatens privacy, occupies our time and often overwhelms our attention. Identify some of the specific ways technology plays a role in personal injury, making us all less safe. Explore remedies.
*Sobo employees, (part-time, full-time or contract) and their immediate relatives are not eligible to enter this contest.